U.S.S. MT. KATMAI AE 16: 1969-1973: TO MUCH TIME OFF....



Thursday, November 30, 2006

TO MUCH TIME OFF....

When we came back from our second tour admiral Zoowalt instituted his 2 on 5 off day policy for ships in port. So we were allowed to fly home for the weekends or what ever we choose to do.

My parents had to moved to Red Bluff in Northern California about 160 miles of Port Chicago (Concord)

One weekend I just did not want to get up and make the trip back down the 5. I actually over slept...My Mom woke me up about 4 am and said I had better get going, so up i got and borrowed the pick up to drive south.

Anyway, I ran into hail, heavy rain, snow in the Napa Valley and made back to the ship 2 hours late, one hour after I was supposed to open the galley and start cooking the morning meal.

As I walked up the gang way I could hear grumbles coming from the Officer of the Deck....As I saluted the flag and then him he started to yell and bitch about me being late and all and I just said "Sorry, Im late, but I had a hell of a time getting down from up north....Just look at my truck, all muddy and dirty....I forgot to mentioned that it was clear at home when i left 3 hours late but after looking at my truck he then started yelling at me 'are you crazy driving through all that weather just to get back to the ship'

This was way before cell phones and call boxes on freeways and along the 5 at this time the only towns were Pixley and Potterville (Really)

I just shrugged my shoulders and headed for the galley....Sometimes it just paid to not say anything and play dumb....Nothing more was ever said about me being late but every one wanted to knew how I made such good time through the storm that was now drenching the ship and surrounding area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home