U.S.S. MT. KATMAI AE 16: 1969-1973: In the beginning, there was Boot Camp....



Tuesday, October 31, 2006

In the beginning, there was Boot Camp....

I arrived at San Diego Naval training center on June 16th 1969 at about 2:30am after a 2 hour bus trip down from LA.

Got to bed about 3am....got woke up at 5...Now I know what they mean by the 'Longest Day'

Luckily I played the drums so I was sent to the Drum and Bugle Corps...Best thing I ever did, except it meant 2 extra weeks in basic. we actually did three dress inspections a day and marched 10 miles a day playing as we marched every where...Even our tests.

Got word they wanted us to march in a parade in Chino. I went straight to my CO and asked if I could go home for the afternoon, something never allowed in Boot Camp. I explained i only lived 10 miles away, I would take four of my friends with me and my parents would have all of us back by the time we had to leave back for the base. We did it, and I even spent some worth wile time with my then girl friend who was amazed to see me all decked out in whites and having lost 30 pounds...Damn I looked good at 175...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home